Sunday, November 02, 2008

[PenDems (124)] A message from Sen. Tom Katus

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 8:23 PM

PenDems,
 
    I know that many of us are upset with the Rapid City Journal's editorial on Tim Johnson. I talked to Barbara tonight, and she felt the article was "cruel," As both Barbara and Tim have always been way too gracious, I believe this is a great understatement.
 
    While the RCJ has every right to its views and endorsements, going after Tim on his current physical disabilities is over the edge. I myself am a 12-year survivor of melonoma, the deadliest of cancers. Does this make me unqualified for office? And how about our greatest President in modern times, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who could not walk?
 
    I spoke briefly with Tyler Smith tonight. I feel strongly our support rally for Tim should meet at the FDR statue and walk across the street to the RCJ in full protest mode. Handicapped frriends in wheel chairs would be especially welcome. I, for one, plan to be there, and I hope all the rest of you will join in protest to the Journal's outrageous condemnation of Tim's physical condition. Like FDR, his mind is fine. I would encourage all of you who have disabilities or friends with disabilities to attend this rally in support of Tim's courageous comeback "from the valley of the shadow of death." We, too, should fear no evil.
 
    I hope to see you all tomorrow at 12:15. I recommend we start at the FDR statue, as we did two weeks ago, and walk across the street to the source of "cruel and unusual punishment"--the RCJ editorial board. Who are these insensitive people?
 
Warm regards,

Tom